Main causes of power outages
No matter where you are, power outages can happen anytime. That’s why in today’s blog, commercial electricians from Caslec would like to point out some major causes of electricity failures and who you should contact when such event occurs.
Nothing brings the household together quite like an unexpected electricity outage. While playing games or eating dinner under candlelights can be fun for children, power faults are no joke.
Electricity power outages usually occur without any warning and can be stressful if you don’t know the proper steps to getting out of the dark. To make things easier for you, we prepared this article, so you will know what to do when the power is out.
Common causes of power outages
Sydney’s weather can be a real problem when high winds or flying debris damage power lines. Torrential rains and flooding can also damage electrical infrastructure.
A temporary increase in the power supply voltage can result in an electricity outage. These are usually caused by lightning strikes, tripped circuit breakers or short circuits.
Motoring accidents resulting in broken poles or causing power lines to touch can lead to an outage.
For the safety reasons, electricity supplies are often disconnected in bushfire emergency.
What you should do if there is a power outage
When the power goes out, calling your retailer might be your first thought. While your retailers sell electricity to homes and businesses across the country, they are purchasing it from the commercial power distributing companies. These companies own and operate the poles, wires, etc, so they are responsible for their maintenance.
Your retailer will usually help you to get in touch with the right people to get your electricity back; they actually can’t do as much as distributors.
Alternatively, during an outage, they can provide you with information about when the power should be switched back on.
If the outage is widespread, the phone lines could be busy with many people calling for information. In this case, electricity distributing companies often prepare pre-recorded messages offering updates on the situation.
3 tips on how to find good industrial electricians.
In today’s article, Caslec industrial electricians would like to tell you about the differences between residential and industrial electricians, so it could help you find the right professional for your needs.
You would typically assume that the rules of finding a good industrial electrician are the same for every type of specialist in the industry. In a sense, you are correct, but at the same time, it’s worth becoming familiar with the set of skills that an industrial electrician has and the type of training they undertake to get where they are in their profession or trade.
Industrial electricians work in specific environments and over time, either by training or through experience on the job, have distinct, knowledge of particular electrical installations and types of equipment. For example robotics and other highly specialised electrical equipment that might be used in the mining or manufacturing industry.
As the field of expertise is very broad, most of the industrial electricians choose to specialise in certain areas. One of the very popular in the last ten years is the motor vehicle industry. As you would probably be aware, every model of the vehicle produced these days has new and specialised electrical equipment and naturally, this requires highly specialised technical expertise to install, repair and maintain.
So what are the characteristics of a good industrial electrician that might make choosing one easier for you?
Let’s take a look at some of the things you should pay attention to:
- Good industrial electricians have the experience and knowledge and, most importantly, the training required to work with highly specialised pieces of electrical equipment. It is of particular importance to check that their training is of sufficient depth to be able to work with the equipment required efficiently.
- They should always possess the capacity to communicate well and be a good team player so that they can work as a part of a harmonious work environment.
- Working as a part of an overall team is one thing, but specialised team members such as industrial electricians should also be able to communicate effectively with customers where necessary.
Naturally, every work environment has particular skill requirements and supervisors need to be careful to ensure that the industrial electrician they choose ticks every box, not just those listed above.
If you are still not sure about which industrial electricians you should choose.
How to buy and use energy efficient appliances
Using energy efficient appliances has become very popular in Australia over the last few years, but it can be hard to know what to look for.
In today’s article by Caslec commercial electricians, we would like to list some simple steps that can help in choosing the right product.
Energy star rating
The item’s energy star rating can help in making a quick judgement about its energy efficiency. The more star, the more energy efficient the appliance is.
Guides and product manuals
Many appliances have energy saving functions built in. It’s important to read the manual to learn how these can be used as it can save you a lot of money.
Electrical appliances can be hazardous to dispose of, so it’s worth to find a retailer that can collect old items when they deliver the new product.
If your primary motivation for investing in energy efficient products is to save money, then remember the appliances that are not in use should be unplugged rather than left on standby. New televisions should also be set for the ‘home use’ mode which lowers the brightness on the screen and saves power.
For a free assessment of your circumstances contact Caslec Commercial Electricians in Sydney.
What’s involved in Energy Audit Report?
A comprehensive Energy Audit Report obtained by Caslec Industrial Electricians is an in-depth study into power consumption within your company premises.
Scope of Work:
· Applying a data logger to the main switchboard for approximately 7 days, monitoring power, lighting and air conditioning system which measures and records the amps, voltages and harmonics being drawn from each circuit.
· Entering every room throughout the premises to count all electrical equipment.
· Identifying sub-boards and whether they require further data logging to measure accuracy.
· Producing a graphical interpretation of the monitored results.
· Formal presentation of the results and assistance in the implementation if required.
Energy Audit covers power, lighting, air conditioning and all other circuits that are used in your company buildings. Monitoring the power consumption over a week or longer will identify peak usage periods, highlight wastage, such as consumption in the evenings and weekends as well as inefficiency through load balance.
Have a look at some of our most common findings, our easy solutions and some more complexed ones.
Are you sure that your timers and sensors are working correctly? Did you know that due to power outages or human intervention they might not be working at all??
It’s time to check it.
On many occasions we have found hot water urns left on boil 24 hours a day, 7 days a week…wasting a huge amount of energy. Newer models are already programmed to turn off during out of hours or retrograde a timer onto older units.
Implementing energy saving company policies is an easy solution that saves a lot of money. Also, timers and sensors on lighting to ensure only security lighting system is left on when the building is not in use or upgrading older equipment to newer, more energy efficient products.
For a free assessment of your circumstances contact Caslec Industrial Electricians in Sydney.
Knowledge is power – electrical safety
In today’s blog, we would like to discuss electrical safety in your workplace. As the commercial electricians company in Sydney, the safe work environment is the priority for us. So we would like to give you a couple of tips that could protect you and your staff from potential electrical hazards.
If you are working on electrical circuits or with electrical equipment, you need to follow some golden safety rules.
Commercial Electricians in Sydney Safety Tips
- Stay away from energised electrical circuits.
Sounds obvious yes! But if something bad happens you probably won’t get a second chance.
- Think about electrical devices as if they were live or energised
- Make sure you always disconnect the power source before servicing or repairing any electrical device
- Use only equipment with non-conducting handles
- Don’t use metallic rulers or pencils.
- Take off rings, watches etc when working with electrical devices. Unfortunately, this rule is quite easy to forget.
- If it’s necessary to handle some plugged in equipment, make sure your hands are dry and if possible wear protective clothes
- If possible, work with one hand only.
Have you ever read about current passing through human body??
Here’s more info:
- Try not to use electrical equipment in cold rooms or other areas where condensation is likely.
- If water or a chemical is spilt onto equipment, shut off power at the main switch
- If someone comes in contact with a live electrical conductor, don’t touch the equipment or the person.
- Devices that produce a “tingle” should be reported for repair
- Drain capacitors before working near them and keep the short circuit on the terminals to prevent electrical shock
- Don’t touch another’s person equipment unless instructed to do so
- Secure all electric contacts and conductors so no one can accidentally get in contact with them
- Don’t handle electrical equipment when your body is wet or when standing on a wet floor
- If it’s necessary to touch electrical equipment use the back of your hand. To avoid “freezing” to the conductor
- Don’t keep highly flammable liquids near electrical equipment
And for the end please have a look at a typical example of ignorance when it comes to basic electrical safety
Need professional help in your industrial area??
Energy efficient company buildings – Caslec Commercial Electricians
As a leading commercial electricians company in Sydney, we would like to come up with weekly advice on how to make your business a better place to work for you and your employees.
Industrial properties in Sydney are one of the main electrical energy consumers in Australia. Heating, lighting, and office equipment use large amounts of energy. However, in today’s article, we would like to give you a range of steps companies can take to make their buildings more energy efficient.
- Industrial properties should have energy management plans that regulate the use of lighting, cooling and heating. The energy saving strategy should include optimising the usage of appliances to minimise costs while meeting the needs of tenants.
- Energy efficient lighting should be installed together with control sensors used to ensure that lights are on only when they need to be. The interior design of industrial buildings should favour the daylight over artificial one.
- Server rooms should be cooled efficiently with fans or located off-site.
- Offices also should be equipped with energy efficient devices. Old copiers and computers should be replaced with power saving modern alternatives wherever it’s possible.
Studies done by Caslec Commercial Electricians show that also employees are happier and more efficient when working in a healthy office environment.
Need professional help in your industrial area??
Find good industrial electricians in Sydney
I’m sure the idea of finding a decent industrial electrician must stress you out and you have no clue where to start from. It can be quite time-consuming as well. Commercial electricians who specialize in this field develop a different set of skills over time so general household electrical work can sometimes take time for them to adapt to.
Keep it in mind that industrial electricians in Sydney work on building sites, house and land developments or in high-rise construction. The situations which they face every day are totally different to those that may occur in a general household. So it’s good to understand their skills before you decide to choose one.
Industrial electricians have a quite exciting profession as in commercial field they are often challenged to find new creative solutions to problems that arise on-site. Whereas general house wiring is in most of the cases quite straightforward process.
In today’s article, we would like you to pay attention to some characteristics that are important when looking for a good industrial electrician in Sydney.
- A good industrial electrician should be able to adapt to problems as they occur. They work in an environment that is based on constant change. Sometimes it’s hard to work with creative architects and designers who seem to be often changing their mind at the last moment. For example changing the areas of electrical fittings.
- Clients have high expectations that must be met, no matter how unreasonable they sound, good industrial electricians will maintain composure and be able to come up with a solution fast and instill a sense of confidence in the client.
- In a commercial environment, there are many different providers working side-by-side so good industrial electricians in Sydney need to be able to communicate effectively across a wide range of trades and professions.
- A good presentation is also very important because clients expect professionals to always look appropriate. Also, a friendly and helpful attitude is well perceived.
- Previous experience is also an important characteristic of good industrial electricians. As mentioned above, many specialist tasks require specific knowledge and a construction site is an evident spot for it.
- Versatility is the final factor we would like to mention. The best industrial electricians are adaptable and capable of moving between, for example, new factory installation and high rise building site all on the same day.
As you can see good industrial electricians need a broad set of skills and experience all in one package that every client desires.
We are looking forward to discussing the specifics of your business electrical system.
Top 4 Reasons Your Breaker Keeps Tripping
Commercial Electricians Sydney Advise:
You are sitting comfortably on the sofa, watching your favourite show, the BANG – your power goes off. There is a good chance you tripped a circuit breaker.
Electrical issues are one of those things tend to make everyone in your household go crazy. You have no idea what’s wrong, but suddenly you’ve lost access to the power you depend on in your Sydney home.
There are many reasons why a breaker can trip, but the four causes listed below are those that Commercial Electricians Sydney address the most often during their repairs.
They are the most common reason for a breaker’s trip. This essentially means you’ve got too many appliances loaded on the breaker. Each of them has a “safe limit” of power to supply to your electrical devices in your home. If this is exceeded, the breaker will trip. You will see this happen most often when you try to plug in a new appliance where your electrical system can’t support it or it’s a very high power device like a space heater.
This happens when an active wire comes into contact with other hot wires. You will usually notice blackening around your socket or smell burnt cables as well. If you can notice above symptoms DON’T try to fix it yourself. Contact a professional straight away
Appliance failure leads to overloading, as an incompatible or faulty device can draw more power than it should. When your breaker trips, it’s wise to check all of the appliances related to the breaker. If any of them is hotter than usual, the problem might lay within a specific device, not the outlet.
Need professional help in your industrial area??
When Your Motion Lights Won’t Turn Off
Commercial Electricians Sydney Advice:
Installing security lights is a great way of protecting your household, business from potential intruders. Everything is efficient as long as it works correctly, but when the problems occur they obviously don’t seem so appealing. Some of them can be fixed without electrician’s help. However, when it comes to industrial spaces we recommend contacting Caslec, commercial electricians in Sydney.
Lights Stay On
Security lights with a motion sensor are supposed to come on only when they detect movement. But sometimes they remain on all the time. In most of the cases, it’s caused by a spike in current, although you may have to deal with a recurring issue.
The best way to assess the problem is to check if something has been changed. Maybe something is constantly moving in front of the sensor on the security lights. If not, try to turn the lights off at the breaker for approximately a minute. See if the security light has gone off and then turn the breaker back on. The light will reappear but should switch off after a few minutes.
If the motion sensor lights keep coming on for every passing thing, you have to adjust the sensitivity or change the direction of the sensor to fix the issue. Also, double check if the light has a proper view of the area it’s covering.
If you are still facing issues with security lights in your business area
Variable Speed Electric Motor Drives (VS Drives)
Electricity costs can be reduced and the life can be extended on electric motors when fitted with VS drives. As an example, all modern air conditioning compressor motors are now fitted with VS drives which significantly improve the operation of air conditioning system and reduce power costs.
However there are many machines & electric motors within industry that would benefit from the replacement of existing electric motor starting & running equipment if fitted with a VS Drive. The operation of the machines would improve, electricity power consumption would be lowered significantly depending on the operation of the machine and there would be other mechanical improvements such as lower maintenance costs.
VS drives are well proven & reliable industrial electronic devices that certainly pay for themselves over time.